Post 5 of 13
So, now I’d like to discuss music. Music is a huge part of my life. If it weren’t for music, I physically wouldn’t be here. The family lore is that when they were still in the Philippines, my Dad saw my Ma’s legs when she was performing with her family group, the Guzman Sisters, and he said “that’s the woman I’m going to marry.” It took him a few years to charm my Ma, ‘cause she’s a picky one, but she eventually chose him.
I was lucky enough to grow up when the rise of popular music as we know it today. Through my parents, the Beatles, the Beach Boys, and girl groups of the 1960s. Through my siblings, hip-hop, electro, house, boy bands of the 1980s. Then I grew up during the 1990s, the crux of 20th century pop music through MTV and listening to the radio. The Internet helped expose me to even more music, UK pop like Sugababes, Girls Aloud, and Sophie Ellis-Bextor, as well as Asian artists like Teriyaki Boyz and Namie Amuro.
My last.fm is constantly updated. If you want a deep dive into my musical psyche, my charts are accurate as hell.
Here are a few songs I’m currently obsessed with:
- OMG by Camila Cabello
- Feels by Calvin Harris, Pharrell, Katy Perry and Big Sean
- Alright by Kendrick Lamar
- American Boy by Estelle featuring Kanye West
- Call Ticketron by Run the Jewels
- Better in the Morning by Little Boots
- Drum by Mutya Keisha Siobhan
- What “U” Waitin’ “4”? By Jungle Brothers
- Long Live the Chief by Jidenna
- Bouncy by Dev
- Rose-Colored Boy by Paramore
Click the links to buy the songs on Amazon.
What songs are you obsessed with right now?