There are a lot of people – even websites – that say they can review your résumé and cover letter for free. “Upload here and get our feedback within two days!”
What you’re going to be getting is a generic opinion with just enough information to make you feel like it was worth your while. Or, make you feel like it was a gigantic waste of money. They usually are. Google any résumé evaluation service and I guarantee you that you’ll find tons of reviews where the client felt duped.
Not only did you spend all of that money, you’re back at square one.
Why do that to yourself?
Don’t take my word for it though.
I don’t even want you to submit your request until you can ask yourself these three questions:
- Is your résumé easy to read and free of errors?
- Is your latest position listed on your résumé?
- Are you getting interviews right now?
If you can’t say yes to any of these, let’s talk!
You Need a Résumé Writer If:
- English is your second language and words don’t come easy.
- You’re unable to describe your accomplishments with hard data.
- You’re uncomfortable with an Applicant Tracking System.
- You’re uncomfortable with Microsoft Word or Google Docs and how to make them do what you want them to do.
- You’re seeking mid-level or higher positions.
- You need to frame your situation – stay-at-home-mom seeking to jump back into the workforce, freelancer seeking steady employment, job-hopping – in a positive light.
You Don’t Need a Résumé Writer If:
- You recently graduated from high school or college. Ask a Manager is a treasure trove for FREE résumé and cover letter advice, as well as how to navigate the workplace.
- You’re in a creative field that prioritizes a portfolio over a traditional résumé.
- You have a data-centered résumé on a readable template.
- You plan to physically hand in your résumé, typical of jobs that require paperwork to be filled out on the spot. Those are getting rare but they continue to exist.
I’m Ready! What Do I Need to Do?
- Submit your inquiry.
- A dedicated call – via phone or Discord – where we discuss what you’re trying to do.
- I’ll then send you a rewrite of your résumé utilizing a fresh template (I prefer Google Docs so that’s how I’ll send it to you), incorporating the information we discussed on your call.
- I can send you one additional rewrite if you feel the one you received from me didn’t fulfill your ideas.